The Four Pivots, Part One

The purpose of my writing this blog over time is to synthesize my own learning and to share my learning with others. As I write today, I’m returning to my purpose because I know how important it is to remind myself of my why, especially since today is the day I’ve added a “Subscription” feature to my webpage! I’m extremely excited about the privilege and opportunity to share my writing in a more systematic way with my readers.

In this post, I want to begin a synthesis of The Four Pivots: Reimagining Justice, Reimagining Ourselves, by Shawn Ginwright, PhD. This will be the first in a four part series, each part comprising one of Ginwright’s pivots. As I read the book, I was inspired by the connection between self work and social justice work. The focus on Belonging also stood out to me because it is one of my Core Values and because we know that in order for learning and healing to occur, we need Belonging. Reading the book, I had many take-aways for myself, my leadership moves, and my teaching. I highly recommend reading the text and know many educational leaders and learners will be embracing it over the years to come!

“Belonging is the capacity to see the humanity in those that are not like us and to recognize that the same elements that exist within them also exist within us.”
– Shawn Ginwright, PhD

When a basketball player pivots, they stop and reflect, are aware of other players, focus on their goal, and then move in the best direction. Many small pivots over time, move us closer to our goals. In turn, we can shift our values and therefore the ways in which we believe and behave. A pivot “involves renewing our sense of possibility, transforming how we see the world, and shifting the values of our culture. This can only happen when we foster a collective imagination that restores communal wisdom that embraces both imagination and engagement, empathy and power, reflection, and action” (Ginwright).

The Four Pivots include:

1. From Lens to Mirror
  2. From Transactional to Transformative
  3. From Problem to Possibility
  4. From Hustle to Flow

Pivot One: From Lens to Mirror suggests that we look at the world by holding a mirror up to ourselves,  instead of through the lenses we wear. Self-reflection and exploration are critical in this self work. Within the pivot are three themes: Reflection, Truth, and Clarity.

Reflection.

This summer we purchased a used Prius to save on gas and replace a car with a failed engine. As I was getting used to driving the Prius, I found myself asking passengers to help me know if I was missing cars in my blindspots before shifting lanes. Every time I did so, I was reminded of Pivot One and the importance of honest, non-judgmental feedback from others to help us see the truth we can’t see.

We all see the world through our own lenses; our lenses filter the information we are aware of because our brains simply cannot take in all the sensory information available from second to second. As a result we may miss assumptions or biases and draw generalizations instead of going deeper to the core issue. When we instead use a mirror to reflect and explore we gain Clarity.

Our systems and institutions are not often set up to support self-reflection. Within these systems, we may rush to solve/act instead of investigating to find the root of a problem. Ginwright suggests that “social transformation is connected to transforming ourselves.” By self-reflecting, we consider how we show up which in turn influences our beliefs and actions. Our focus becomes purpose driven and within our own Spheres of Influence. We shift from expertise to humility and vulnerability. We take more time to investigate, and produce more effective systems.

Reflection includes hindsight, foresight, and insight. We can reflect by journaling, asking others for feedback, and sharing our lessons with others. Reflective questions include (see the book for many more):

• What is the major lesson/learning from this situation? What could I have done differently and what did I learn that I can use in the future?
  • Where am I going? What are three things I would like in ten years? How can my gifts contribute to a more humane society?
  • How can I be present in this moment and sit with uncertainty? How can I move to a position of non-judgment to expand my awareness of this situation and gain more insight?

Truth.

Throughout the book, Ginwright embeds story. In reflecting back on the most important learnings I’ve had over the past several years, the ones that have stood out the most are those that were shared through story. Story has the ability to show us the humanity of others and we are wired to remember stories and the lessons they teach. When we tell our stories in a space of trust, we develop community and can be vulnerable with each other; we begin to understand others’ motivations. We provide space for counter-narratives which leads to a deeper understanding and empowers and heals the storyteller. When each of us reflects on the important question What is the truth I’ve been avoiding?, we gain self-awareness and heal.

“Truth-telling is maybe one of the most significant practices in
transformative movements because the process is both
personal and political, individual and collective.”
– Shawn Ginwright, PhD

Clarity.

Clarity is “a state of vivid and transparent certainty, which illuminates an unambiguous path toward a desired goal or direction…a coherent awareness about your journey” (Ginwright). We gain Clarity when we shed all the distractions, excuses, and barriers that can get in the way and begin to see with our “eyes and heart”. This enables us to create a beloved community.

Three habits to enhance Clarity include:

1. Slow Down and Let the Dust Settle. Instead of rushing to solve/act, slow down and reflect/ponder/imagine. Ask individually and in groups: What is most important right now? What might I not be seeing? What would my mentor do?
  2. Create a Purpose-Driven Outcome. Be clear and transparent about the goals/purpose. Share the purpose with the group and write it down along. Consider the steps you might take to achieve the goal and remember that collectively we may move in a different direction as we work towards the goal, based on our growing knowledge.
  3. Practice Consistently and Faithfully. Along the way, come back to the purpose to make sure we are still on the right track.

I hope this synthesis will be useful to others and I look forward to writing about the next three Pivots in future blogs!

Resources:
The Four Pivots: Reimagining Justice, Reimagining Ourselves, Shawn Ginwright, PhD