What Are Strategies to Support Behavior?

I am not a behavior expert, although I have had some training in Nurtured Heart Approach and Morning Meeting. I do have a deep understanding of pedagogy, building relationships, and learning. So when I attended several sessions this week at my site, given by my principal and other leaders, on Responsive Classroom and behavior, I learned a lot. And I was able to make connections to culturally responsive learning and to my prior learning. I’d like to summarize some of the big takeaways here, in an effort to review my learning and share with others.

In order to be successful in and out of school, students need to learn a set of social and emotional competencies—cooperation, assertiveness, responsibility, empathy, and self-control—and a set of academic competencies—academic mindset, perseverance, learning strategies, and academic behaviors.
Responsive Classroom

Begin by building a solid foundation where every student knows that you care about them. When I think back to the teachers who did this for me, I remember feeling seen and understood. They truly cared and saw my strengths. They showed compassion and built a relationship. It is said that the ratio of positive to negative comments in strong relationships is about 5:1. It is also said that we remember negative comments like they stick to us with velcro, and positives slip off like teflon. This is why the positives are so important. When we acknowledge people, we show that we value them. This goes for students and for teachers; a healthy school community supports teachers so that they can be the best champions for their students.

Much of classroom management is proactive. We think carefully about transitions, environment, and engaging activities that are relevant to students. Strong relationships enable us to know students well; we can sense and observe when subtle changes occur in a student’s demeanor. We are proactive and try to redirect or connect with the student by checking in to see how they are doing. Eventually, students can self-regulate and do this for themselves in many cases.

Behavior is learned, just as academic skills are learned. We continue to refine our behavior skills into our teens and early twenties, and throughout our lives. Skills need to be explicitly taught with modeling, practicing, reteaching, feedback, and refining. Just like any learning, it will be more meaningful if students understand why, know exactly what the desired behavior looks like, and consistent language is used. Feedback is provided often, incorporating the specific behavior and how it connects to the classroom or school expectation:

“You are turning and talking to your partner.
That shows compassion and that you are being a learner.”
“I noticed you put your materials away quickly and quietly.
You were showing how we are safe and compassionate in this classroom.”

A student’s misbehavior offers a learning opportunity for the adult/s. Stop and listen to learn: what is under the surface of the behavior? What is the unmet need? When the student blurts out or pushes someone, do they need attention, help, a break, or something else? The adult can develop a mindset that students will act appropriately when they can, not when they want to.

Minimize attention to negative behaviors and maximize attention and energy to positive behaviors. When a misbehavior occurs, it is a teaching opportunity. The way in which adults react to misbehavior can energize or escalate a situation, or calm a situation. The teacher restates the expectation, and practices with the student/s. If the misbehavior is repeated, the student engages in restorative logical actions (reflection, role play, discussion, modeling, reteaching). Feedback refers back to the expected behavior definition: “You are poking with a pencil. That is not safe. Please put your pencil down.” Often this is followed by a private check in where the teacher asks how the student is doing, to demonstrate caring and empathy. We pay attention to all behaviors from the start of the year. If we ignore them, they can become bigger, and the cause of the behavior is not being addressed so the students’ full self cannot show up.

After 3-4 weeks of explicitly teaching and practicing expectations, using consistent language the teacher can teach “Reset and Return.” Design a space for when a student has gotten off track, a space to regain self control (not for punishment). Put a chair in this space, off to the side, but not isolated from the learning, as we want students to continue to be a part of the learning. This is a huge equity move! This is not a space for fidgets or toys. The teacher should be the first to use the Reset space, to model what it looks like to need and use the space. Over the next several days, every student will visit the chair so that they are aware of the procedure and know that “Resets” will be used democratically across the classroom. A student will stay in the Reset space for about 30 seconds to five minutes, depending on how much time they need to be able to re-engage. After the student is welcomed back (by the teacher or themself, depending on what routine has been clearly established with students), the teacher can have a private conversation with the student to give feedback.

Tips for an adult to stay calm and not give too much energy to or escalate the behavior include: don’t talk too much, don’t problem solve before a student feels calm, don’t minimize what they are feeling, and don’t touch without permission. None of us are great problem solvers when we are frustrated. The role of an adult is to be supportive and give a space for a student to share their perspective. Once the student is calm, the adult should share their perspective.

Just like anything within a system, it is important to have a predictable, consistent structure of support (with consistent consequences) that extends beyond the classroom. In our school this year we are giving teachers a menu of choices if a Student Services Support Teacher is called to the classroom. The teacher can work 1:1 with the student, take a break, etc. By asking the teacher what they need, the teacher can be empowered and have choice. The focus is on maintaining the positive relationship between the student and the teacher, and neither the teacher nor the student is judged. We are all learning.

Ultimately the goal is to have a Responsive Classroom, where both academic and social-emotional competencies are intertwined so that students can do their best learning. When students feel safe and a sense of belonging, that someone is their champion, they are more available to learning and they therefore learn more. This is a huge equity move. I’m excited about the clarity that this learning has offered me, my colleagues, and ultimately our students! I truly want every student to know that they are important to our school.