Shifting Language, Shifting Beliefs

We are living in extraordinary times. Six months into a pandemic, everything in our world seems to be changing. Some changes include: virtual learning, working from home for many, safe physical distancing and mask-wearing to protect others, and an increased awareness in how people feel belonging and community. At the same time, we have seen a growing focus on anti-racism through protesting, a commitment by many to center voices and experiences of Black people and people of color, and in some places – policy changes. In this post I want to share some of the shifts in language I am seeing as a result of our intention to the words we use. The words we use impact our beliefs, and our beliefs impact the words we use, so shifting language is imperative for a more just world and for expanding our beliefs toward shared humanity.

This is a growing list that I will add to over time. Note that I do not take credit for any of these phrases, questions, and statements. They come from listening, reading, and collaborating with others. If you have suggestions for additions, please let me know!

• Is that an anti-racist action?
  • Why are we doing this? Why are we doing thisĀ this way?
  • Are the right people around the table?
  • What are the power differentials and/or dynamics in this meeting and how will we create an equity of power and voice?
  • Who will benefit from this decision?
  • Tell me more.
  • What is an action we can take towards that goal?
  • What is the impact (instead of what is the intention)?
  • Is that an equitable use of resources?
  • What data do you have to support that?
  • What more can we do to increase a sense of belonging and community?
  • “Is this professional conversation assisting me with the goal of ensuring that Black and Brown students are learning?” (Andratesha Fritzgerald)
  • “Am I learning about strategies, interventions, or technical tools that could eliminate barriers for Black and Brown learners?” (Andratesha Fritzgerald)

Resources:
Antiracism and Universal Design for Learning, Andratesha Fritzgerald