Equity and Access: The Universal Design for Learning Guidelines

Just as we design buildings to be accessible by all people, we should design accessible learning opportunities. No two learners are alike – we are as unique as our fingerprints. If anything is a constant in education, it is that we can expect variability in the students and the adults with whom we work, each with individual strengths and goals. Universal Design for Learning (UDL) is a framework through which educators can intentionally plan for a variety of ways to access, engage with, and express learning. The learning is towards rigorous and meaningful goals. This is a huge move toward high outcomes for all learners. In this post, I want to share some thoughts and resources around UDL.

I’m trying to start with the why in all I do. Why am I doing this? Why am I doing this this way? If I don’t have a strong why, I need to rethink my priorities. Time is too precious in this urgent work towards meeting the needs of all our students and colleagues, especially our black and brown students. We have not been successful in meeting their needs. So… why UDL?

• UDL helps design for the diverse strengths and goals that each learner brings to a learning experience. I want to be clear and say that I truly believe every student is a genius. I don’t think some kids are good at math and some aren’t. I believe, and have seen in my teaching, that every student has different areas of strength in math and different areas of growth. This is what Todd Rose calls a “jagged profile:”

• UDL empowers students, as the goal of UDL (and indeed all teaching) is to develop expert learners.
  • UDL is not a new initiative. It has been a part of high quality instructional design for decades, and as a result of its effectiveness, has a prominent place in the federal education law, Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) of 2015:
“Universal Design for Learning (UDL) means a scientifically valid framework for guiding educational practice that — (A) provides flexibility in the ways information is presented, in the ways students respond or demonstrate knowledge and skills, and in the ways students are engaged; and (B) reduces barriers in instruction, provides appropriate accommodations, supports, and challenges, and maintains high achievement expectations for all students.”

I had the privilege of being at CAST attending UDL Presenter training with Allison Posey, when this news was announced. David Rose came to our training to announce the exciting news!

• UDL removes barriers. When teachers plan relevant learning experiences, they consider what barriers may be present and plan for a variety of ways in which students can access and express learning, so that all students can be successful. They provide tools to give students on-ramps to learning – tools that all students can choose to use.

My learning around UDL has spanned a decade and included three major landmarks:

1. I have read nearly every book written about UDL. The one that I have found most memorable and useful in my work with other teachers is UDL Now! In addition, I have attended workshops and webinars with the book’s author, Katie Novak. Novak models what she writes about by making her sessions universally designed and engaging. She uses story and metaphor to ground the learning. One example of this is how she compares UDL to a dinner party. I wouldn’t serve just lasagna to my guests, as they have different preferences and dietary needs. Offering a buffet with a number of choices is much more effective. In addition, Novak writes about the power of working with a team, to sustain change over time. If we have others to support us and encourage us, we are more likely able to achieve learning goals.
  2. Attending CAST training supported my learning about UDL and how to use design in my work with colleagues. By presenting information in a variety of ways (interactive, independent, reading, video, active, etc.) we honor how participants want/need to engage. When one is engaged, one will learn more. One example at CAST was: each of us had an opportunity to set our own goal for the two days of learning. We could write about or create an artifact in order to share our goal with others.
  3. I recently read Andratesha Fritzgerald’s Antiracism and Universal Design for Learning and joined her Building Expressways to Success webinar in which she spoke with Allison Posey about the book. I highly encourage this powerful webinar, and the important book, to think deeply about antiracism, Culturally Responsive Teaching, and UDL – about how to provide safety and empowerment for all students by designing with the learner in mind. Fritzgerald emphasizes listening to and honoring student voice and story, inviting curiosity and inspiring ingenuity, and building trust and relationship. Students do the heavy lifting of learning and teachers provide the safety and relevant experiences designed universally. 

Frizgerald connects Engagement to a License to Learn. The destination (goal) is important and that students have control and flexibility over how to get there. We recruit students into learning by making learning valuable. We support them in sustaining persistence and interest, helping them find strategies that help them learn. We acknowledge, build off, and celebrate that “every student brings something to the table.”
Representation is Honoring by Invitation. If we provide a variety of resources and tools that give access, it’s like cleaning off a dirty windshield to be able to see more clearly. We send the message that students bring knowledge and experiences to the classroom, that we know students will be successful, and that we trust them as learners to make choices for the best path for them at this time.
Honoring by Releasing is Action & Expression. When we see students as brilliant, we send the message that we believe they can be successful and we are more likely to empower them to make choices as learners. By offering many ways for students to show what they’ve learned, their brilliance is apparent to the community around them.

“Design with the barriers of injustice in mind and
inspire young people to see a vision for themselves fighting against it.”
-Fritzgerald

My learning continues. Last week I started reading We Got This by Cornelius Minor and attended a workshop on “Creating Conditions for Equitable Learning.” In the workshop, we talked about using the UDL framework as a tool in which to engage in conversations about equitable instruction with colleagues. If we use the framework as a third point, and ask key questions with an equity lens, we can guide colleagues towards using UDL to provide successful instruction to all students. When all students are successful, teacher beliefs change, and our overall system of education improves. Minor offers a number of practical ideas to use directly in working with students and colleagues, including:

Universal Design for learning is not something more on the plate of a teacher. It is the plate. It is a mindset and a tool in which to design. In the words of Fritzgerald:

“Universally designed lessons will make your class safer for learners.
They’ll make it safer for all learners, but especially black and brown learners. You can design your class and your learning environment, so that they are successful, that they experience success that they are the architect of.”

Resources:
We Got This
cast.org
UDL Now!
Antiracism and Universal Design for Learning
Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008