The Opportunity Myth

The Opportunity Myth has been the foundation at several workshops I’ve attended. The past several weeks, my staff has started studying the research findings in connection to priority standards and identity work. I highly recommend reading the report, rereading the report, and connecting the report to other professional learning topics. In this post, I want to summarize some of the themes I’ve gleaned from reading.

Themes and ideas sparked from readingThe Opportunity Myth:

• We need to prioritize what we teach: based on standards and knowing students’ and interests/strengths. I think this starts with the students who have historically been marginalized. 
    • Provide appropriate, intentional support and scaffolds. Empower students to reflect on the scaffolds and to know when they no longer need particular scaffolds.
    • Be what Zaretta Hammond calls a “Warm Demander.” Have high expectations, provide relevant and authentic learning experiences, build relationships based on listening and empathy, and coach students towards meeting expectations.
    • Develop social emotional skills and academic skills.
    • Build a respectful community where discourse is developed and supports learning.
    • Provide the why so that students know how the learning connects to their lives. Make the Learning Target clear and Success Criteria clear. 
    • Universally Design personalized experiences with students. Consider and eliminate or offer tools for overcoming potential barriers. Provide options for ways to engage in and express learning.
    • Find out what Engagement means to students and make sure that learning experiences are Engaging. Discuss Engagement and how students can nurture experiences.
    • Have an asset-based lens, reflect on your assumptions and biases, and pay attention to your beliefs. Beliefs and assumptions impact actions.
    • Consider: Who’s doing the work and talk? Student talk is critical!

I look forward to learning more and hearing feedback from readers on what resonates with you when you read The Opportunity Myth!

“Above all, we heard from students that they want to be challenged in school, enjoy their learning, and be treated with respect, care and dignity.
They’re asking us to do better, so we should.”
~The Opportunity Myth