Conquering the Fear of Putting It Out There

Last week a colleague congratulated me on starting this blog, as it’s something I’ve wanted to do for many years. She said it takes courage and that she hasn’t yet started a blog because of Impostor’s Syndrome. This really resonated with me. Last year, my coach recommended I do some learning on Imposter Syndrome, in relation to my goal. As I learned more, I realized Impostor Syndrome was holding me back from taking on some challenges and feeling my fullest confidence. In this post, I want to talk about Imposter Syndrome and then share some of what helped me take the risk of starting this blog.

Impostor Syndrome is feeling like you are not enough, like you don’t deserve the role you have or your accomplishments. Self-doubt and lack of confidence are causes. Many people feel like this, and for me, I think it stems from my family culture and my perfectionism. I also see myself very much as a learner rather than as an expert (although I’m realizing I can be both). As I’ve taken on leadership roles, working with a greater number of colleagues, I’ve faced Imposter Syndrome to a stronger degree. And over the past year, I have attempted to reflect on this tendency, to recognize my strengths, and to take on more professional and personal challenges.

One professional challenge that I have conquered is the wish to make my writing a more formal process, through posting in a blog. This came to fruition as I finished reading Innovate Inside the Box, by Couros and Novak. Then, I completed George Couros’ Digital Portfolio Master Course. The course gave me the knowledge of how to set up my online portfolio and begin writing and reflecting formally on my learning and the connections I’m making. The course ended with Obvious to You. Amazing to Others and the following:

“Maybe what’s obvious to me is amazing to someone else…
Just put it out and let the world decide.”
-Derek Sivers

Couros made three important points:

1. There is no “done” and my writing won’t be perfect, so don’t overthink. Instead consider what I may lose if I don’t share it. Writing, for me, is both empowering and energizing.
  2. Reflection leads to growth. Looking back helps me look forward and gives me the 360 degree view. For me, the best way of looking back is by writing or Sketchnoting. Over time I can review and look back and see how I have grown and how my thinking has changed.
  3. The world needs my voice. I have to admit this is the hardest point for me, given the amazing writers and educators I am surrounded by, but I’m trusting the advice and hoping that by writing I can make some difference for someone.

As a classroom teacher, I held story and writing at the center of my work with students. I valued identity and reflection, growth and learning that writing enabled and made visible. And now, I am taking on this challenge myself and look forward to the writing ahead!

Yes, Impostor Syndrome Is Real. Here’s How to Deal With It., Abrams
Innovate Inside the Box, Couros and Novak
Digital Portfolio Master Course, Couros
Obvious to You. Amazing to Others, Sivers