Co-conspirators: Three Recommendations

In How to be an Antiracist, Ibram X. Kendi writes that an anti-racist is “one who is supporting an antiracist policy through their actions or expressing an antiracist idea.” Percy Brown and Rainey Briggs, in their Critical Consciousness training, define co-conspirators as “people who, no matter how hot it gets, stay and fight for you. They know that sacrifice is required and are willing to lose a friend” by standing up and acting. Now more than ever, I’m trying hard to listen to the voices of people of color who are often silenced and have so much to offer. I preface this post by acknowledging that I am a white, cisgender heterosexual woman trying to synthesize my own thoughts. In many of my recent learnings, recommendations from my valued colleagues and network, typically recommend three key ideas in antiracist work.

Dr. Gee, from Nehemiah, recommends the following:

1. Learn. Build relationships with, learn from and listen to people of color. Learn the history of oppression in the United States and understand the policies that perpetuate inequities in your community (police departments, schools, etc.). The film “13th” and a number of books written by black authors are useful to build background. Investigate yourself and your privilege. What biases and lenses influence your beliefs and actions? You cannot do this work without understanding yourself fully and being willing to listen to feedback and learn.
  2. Donate. Donate to organizations supporting antiracist actions and policy. Many of these organizations fight tirelessly to advocate for justice and have limited monetary resources. A monthly donation can go a long way.
  3. Act. This is the area of biggest impact and where the true work of co-conspiracy and antiracism live. Speak up in conversations with colleagues, friends, and family members. Advocate for the hiring of diverse coworkers at your place of work. Call, write letters, and speak to local leaders. This work is urgent.

Sonya Cherry-Paul, in her session “Texts and Teaching In Reading Workshop that Empower Students to Forge an Antiracist Future,” recommended the following for educators:

1. Educate yourself. You are either acting as a racist or antiracist at any given time. By doing the interrogation and self work, you can develop the capacity to make deep change. Understand that making mistakes is part of the work and the aim is to do better, not be perfect. 
  2. Speak up. Hold yourself and others accountable. Advocate for, purchase, read, love, and discuss diverse books windows and mirrors to your students. Interrogate the curriculum and pedagogy in your school, making sure it is engaging and culturally responsive. Ask questions and call in when you or a colleague uses deficit language or makes a micro-aggression.
  3. Center voices of IBPOC. Listen to families about their experiences and dreams for their children. Read racially and culturally affirming books and highlight black and brown authors. Intentionally teach racial literacy: teach students language and lenses as tools to recognize and analyze race as a system.

As teachers, we are working alongside students who are our future and hold genius, talents, and deep funds of knowledge. I look forward to writing more about this in future posts, especially as I share about the incredible book Cultivating Genius: An Equity Framework for Culturally and Historically Responsive Literacy

Feedback on this post is welcome. I am learning and know I will make mistakes and that the best way to learn from those mistakes is by reflecting on the feedback received. As Sonya Cherry-Paul says, “seek out those who hold space for you as you transform.” I am grateful for all those who do this for me and for others!