Shifting the Balance: Disciplinary Literacy Connections

I’m finally making time to read Shifting the Balance: 6 Ways to Bring the Science of Reading into the Balanced Literacy Classroom, thanks to a colleague who is reading it with me and discussing direct application of the reading to her classroom. As I’m reading, I’m making connections to Disciplinary Literacy. In this post I want to explore some of my initial connections and takeaways. As always, I look forward to feedback and ideas from my readers, as I know many of you are reading, or have already read the book!

In the book, Burkins and Yates discuss the importance of Listening Comprehension and Reading Comprehension. Strong oral language is a predictor of future strong reading comprehension. Students who are working to better comprehend texts need “abundant opportunities to use and develop language and to build knowledge” (Shifting the Balance).

Research has shown that when students have background on a topic, they are much more likely to comprehend the text. To promote listening comprehension, teachers of young children provide interactive read-aloud, storytelling, shared experiences in the classroom, meaningful classroom conversations, and content-area instruction that is designed with literacy in mind. In addition, teachers use complex vocabulary with precision and intention. All of this connects directly to Disciplinary Literacy, where listening and speaking, and doing the work of experts in a field of study are prioritized.

Several routines are presented on pages 25 and 26 of Shifting the Balance, with examples of language to use during the routines. I haven’t included the language examples here, just the routines:

• Plan for conversations throughout the day (during transitions, turn and talks, morning meetings).
  • Ask quality questions to promote high-level thinking.
  • Provide wait time for students to think before responding.
  • Repeat what students say and expand on it. Ask questions that prompt them to go deeper or clarify. Model academic language.
  • Use interesting words. Call attention to the beauty of powerful language and build what Zaretta Hammond calls Word Wealth.
  • Read aloud. Help students see themselves in texts and learn about others. (See Mirrors, Windows, and Sliding Glass Doors for more on this). Model joy of reading and language. Explore text structure, which is a huge Disciplinary Literacy practice.
  • Engage students in Interactive Read Aloud to provide intentionally planned opportunities throughout a text for them to think and turn and talk.
  • Teach with text sets. By reading a number of texts about a topic, students build background and interest. Text sets also provide an opportunity for students to compare structures and perspectives in texts.

Another idea presented in the book is the Dialogic Conversations. We can elevate the oral language students use in their conversations by planning for and scaffolding talk routines. We also increase engagement when students talk together. A download of the Dialogic Conversations: Process, Sample, and Tips chart can be found at https://thesixshifts.com/downloads/ and includes tips and 3 steps:

1. Engage students in talk about a text or a topic.
  2. Repeat in your own words and model the correct version of any mistakes.
  3. Expand on what the student said, using more detail and vocabulary.

This routine can be used for social interactions and content learning.

“It is important that beginning readers have access to complex ideas through read-aloud, conversation, content-area instruction, and other language-developing opportunities.” (Shifting the Balance)

I look forward to reading more of the book and continuing to make connections. I also look forward to feedback from my amazing group of readers; I appreciate you!

Resources:
Shifting the Balance: 6 Ways to Bring the Science of Reading into the Balanced Literacy Classroom, Burkins and Yates

Home Page

Word Wealth for Young Children of Color Begins With Word Consciousness, Hammond
Mirrors, Windows, and Sliding Glass Doors, Sims Bishop